In collaboration with city and county officials, Woodville ISD has suspended classes for the remainder of this week, March 18-20 and will be implementing a home-based flexible education program for students starting Monday, March 23 through Friday, April 3, 2020. This is done to support our community and health care professionals in the ongoing goal of containing the spread of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19.
Additionally, all school-related extracurricular activities, practices and athletic events are suspended including prom. We will also take this week to further clean and sanitize school facilities and buses and restock custodial and nursing supplies.
We do not make this decision lightly. We fully realize it presents significant difficulties to working parents. However, we are hopeful that these measures will better ensure the long-term health and safety of children, staff, and the larger community.
Woodville ISD is finalizing logistics on providing flexible instructional programs and distance learning options as well as the distribution of food to address children’s nutritional needs. As we work through this process, school staff will be calling parents/guardians to verify contact information and to ensure that instructional plans are in place to support the various learning needs of all our children. Please be sure to answer phone calls from the school as this information is critical for effective planning of home-based instruction.
Additionally, Woodville ISD asks the broader community to take the following reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of the illness:
· Don’t shake hands
· Wash your hands regularly
· Limit movement within the community, especially avoiding crowded placed and maintaining 3 to 6 ft of distance between people (at least an arm’s length) and do not congregate in large groups
· For those who have traveled to areas with known COVID-19 cases – both inside and outside of the country – we ask that you self-quarantine and monitor for symptoms.
· If you suspect you have symptoms of COVID-19, call your health care provider for medical advice before going to the clinic or hospital.
· Keep your child at home if he/she feels ill, even if you think it is just a cold.
· Do not leave the house if you are ill, except to access medical care.
This is a quickly changing situation, and we will continue to monitor information and assess conditions throughout the week. We will be providing daily updates via our website and Facebook page. Thank you for your support and cooperation as we ensure that all members of our community in Woodville stay safe and healthy.